canberrabirds

South coast notes (7)

To: <>
Subject: South coast notes (7)
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 09:22:46 +1100

Finally, a mention of the little project that took me to the coast in the first place.    This was to investigate reports of what seemed to be a nesting territory of a pair of White Goshawks in the coastal forest north of Merimbula.  The project was not entirely successful as I only got a general idea of the location of a nest.  I had some kind of view of an individual bird each day but given the terrain these were either fleeting, obscured or distant.   A typical one is below, showing a bird about 200m distant, surveying its gully from a usual vantage point.  Photos into the sun of the female are on the left.  The hunting male is on the right.  This was surprisingly small, looking more like a white sparrowhawk.  Note the delicate feet including the long middle toe.  We occasionally get this species in Canberra of course, but I don’t know of any breeding records around here.

x w gos crop_.jpg