canberrabirds

South Coast Notes - Durras Chapter

To: <>
Subject: South Coast Notes - Durras Chapter
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 00:57:17 +1100
In addition to the "usuals" I had a few interesting sightings over the last two weekends at Durras.

-  lots of dead seabirds along the beach, (I think Short-tailed Shearwaters) with scavenging Ravens enjoying easy pickings off fresh carcases.
-  a pair of Sooty Oystercatchers actually within a roped off & signposted shorebird nesting area on the beach near Durras Lake mouth (still not open to the sea).
-  two pairs of Red-capped Plovers in the same vicinity.
-  a single Bar-tailed Godwit probing at the lake edge about 100 metres from the above - a first time Durras sighting for me.
-  Azure Kingfisher at Durras Creek catching a fish which appeared almost as long as itself - it eventually managed to deal with it.
-  Osprey observed flying where the lake extends to the bitumen road - chance sighting as I drove back to the highway.

Non-avian features were two sightings of tortoise of unknown species, and a Red-bellied Black Snake in the old tip area (where Martyn Moffatt had a similar close encounter during a COG outing in 2008)

Cheers

Rod
.
Rod Mackay