canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] rufous fantail and flycatcher

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] rufous fantail and flycatcher
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:24:11 +1100

Sorry for that premature send.  Message is below.

Useful tips were given in an article by Graeme Chapman in the Wingspan for June 2003.  He says that “A male Satin is best regarded as a black bird (with a blue sheen just like a Satin Bowerbird), with white underparts.”  He goes on to discuss problems caused by the field guide illustrations and observing the birds under less than ideal light conditions.  On the breast line he says:  “A useful field character ... is the shape of the demarcation line ... In Satins the line tends to be down-curved, the white breast forming an obtuse angle with the edge of the wing, whereas in Leadens it curves upwards, forming an acute angle with the edge of the wing.”  He provides photos that illustrate this, but agrees the difference is not always obvious.