canberrabirds

COG's bird blitz update

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: COG's bird blitz update
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 17:31:57 +1100

Following a good response to my call for additional blitzers at the COG meeting on Wednesday, there are many more spotted grid cells on the blitz map on the COG website, showing “adopted” sites for our annual bird blitz on 30-31 October. But as always there are areas not yet spoken for, and others whose status is unclear – that is, the possibly interested blitzers have not confirmed whether they are available to survey or not. I know some of you need to wait till nearer the time, because of work or other commitments, but as soon as you can let me know, pls do so. Since sending my last update to the website, the lower part of J14 has been adopted. The following areas haven’t yet been found desirable.

In the north: Hall village, cemetery, TSR; Percival Hill NR; Mulligans Flat North.

In the west: Uriarra Crossing; Woodstock NR; Coppins Crossing area; Stoney Creek NR; properties along Cotter and Uriarra Rds.

In the south: Mt Mugga Mugga; Isaacs Ridge; Nursery Swamp; Yankee Hat; Gibraltar Falls; Woods Reserve; Jerrabomberra grasslands; Lake Tuggeranong; Corin Dam.

In the east: Queanbeyan sewage works; Oaks Estate.

Let me know if you can find time to adopt any of these areas to survey over the weekend of 30-31 October. And yes, I keep sliding in a few extra named sites to these lists as some people are unfamiliar with the COG grid system and can cope more easily with names on a map. That’s fine, so long as you can be precise on your datasheets about where you were surveying. Remember, too, that if you see something worth recording (a raptor, for example) on your travels over the blitz weekend, put in an incidental record for it.

Datasheets are downloadable from the COG website or can be obtained from me; if you prefer to enter your data electronically, contact our database manager Paul Fennell at  for a COG code, a password and instructions.

Happy blitzing, everyone! b