canberrabirds

Birds saved by the bell

Subject: Birds saved by the bell
From: Robin Hide <>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 15:52:43 +1100
Yes- the original paper notes:

"It has been suggested that cats may adjust their hunting behaviour when wearing a belled collar and can still hunt
efficiently (Nelson et al. 2005). This did not occur in the short term (Ruxton et al. 2002) or during a 5-month period (Nelson
et al. 2005). Nevertheless, the 6 weeks during which cats wore the belled collars in the present study may not have been long enough
to detect this change in behaviour if it was going to occur. It would be worthwhile testing the effect of a bell over a longer period and
also in spring and summer, when there are more juvenile birds, and lizards are more active."

Robin