canberrabirds

Raven update

To: <>
Subject: Raven update
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 15:54:32 +1000
My Raven family in my backyard still have their 3 dependent young, now just starting to feed themselves. Although one of the young was very reluctant to approach a piece of soaked bread roll and jumped back immediately after grabbing a bit, even though one of the parents was breaking off bits and walking away and hiding it in the nearby grass.

Yesterday the Grey Butcherbird that has been in my GBS area for the last several weeks, gave one of the Ravens an in flight nip as it flew past. (It is I suspect the first year that I have had a Grey Butcherbird stay for more than just a single week.)

With a Raven family growing and now building a new nest, a Grey Butcherbird and lots of Pied Currawongs, all constantly present, I wonder how the Magpie-lark nest in full view, in my neighbours (now nearly leafless) oak tree, will survive. Yesterday I found part of a wing of a Crimson Rosella on the lawn under the Raven's nest. No idea who it was a victim of.......