canberrabirds

Lake George-Wollogorang Lagoons: Musk Duck, W-f Chat breeding

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Lake George-Wollogorang Lagoons: Musk Duck, W-f Chat breeding
From: Marnix Zwankhuizen <>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:30:43 +1000
With all the recent rain I thought I'd spend the day visiting wetlands to our north. First stop Wet Lagoon which was full of water. A female Musk Duck with two little ones in tow was the highlight. There was at least one other female around. Also here a White-necked Heron, two Great Egrets and plenty of swans and swamphens.

Next stop was Wollogorang Lagoon. On the way I passed a pair of Brown Falcons hunting low over grassland and stopped and found an active White-fronted Chat nest near Breadalbane attended by a male. I watched it dive into the roadside grass and when I came near it flew up with a half-hearted attempt at broken wing behaviour. The lagoon was quiet with some 50 Silver Gulls present. In nearby ploughed fields I spied 12 Australian Shelduck and 8 Tree Martins.

Then on to Rowes Lagoon, which was full. Not much to report apart from an egret roost with 4 Great Egrets present. Several swans, herons and lapwing.

Lake George had the most water I have seen in a  long time. It's unfortunate that there is no easy access point to get to the water. Does anyone know whether Picnic Point on the NE shore is still accessible?

Driving through Currawang I found a nice woodland spot where I heard my first Rufous Whistlers and Pallid Cuckoo of the season. Also a possible Brown Treecreeper heard. Further along Collector Rd I found another White-fronted Chat male attending a probable nest. Again in rank, roadside grass adjacent to an open field. Both nesting sites reminded me of another similar spot along Uriarra Rd.

Next stop was The Morass past Tarago. Driving through Tarago I passed my first active Brown Snake, basking on the road. Beyond the Tarago tip I stopped and watched a pair of Restless Flycatchers. The Morass was disappointing, despite there being plenty of water. All I could find was a pair of Black-fronted Dotterels, lapwings, swans, pipits and kestrels.

Cheers
Marnix