canberrabirds

Powerful Owl

To: COG List <>
Subject: Powerful Owl
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 06:40:58 +1000
Last night about 9:30 I heard a call that I have identified as that of a female Powerful Owl.   It comprised two series of three hoots.  The call was not as deep as that most evident in the BOCA recordings but my field guide and HANZAB suggest the female call is higher pitched than the male.  Unfortunately I didn't have a recorder with me at the time.  On listening to all the relevant calls on the CDs I can't think what else it could be.

Martin