canberrabirds

Wednesday Walk Report and information

To: COG List <>
Subject: Wednesday Walk Report and information
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:20:39 +1000
I apologise for an interim version of this escaping prematurely!

Report from 18 August

13 members gathered at the Molonglo Gorge car park and compiled a list of birds seen there as we checked that all intending starters had arrived,  We recorded an EASTERN SPINEBILL (the only one of the day) and the first of several EASTERN YELLOW ROBINs.

We merged into three car;oads and headed off to Blue Tiles picnic area noticed several near-kamikaze marsupials en route.  The first birds noted on arrival were 5 GANG-GANG COCKATOOs perched in the tree under which we parked.  Our first move was back along the walking trail towards the car park.  RED-BROWED FINCHes were seen in the shrubbery and a COLLARED SPARROWHAWK in the canopy.  A FAN-TAILED CUCKOO was calling in the valley and several BROWN THORNBILLS identified as we moved along.   After turning back WHITE-NAPED HONEYEATERS  were seen crossing the river and a BROWN-HEADED HONEYEATER was heard.

After returning to the area where we had parked we continued on a track parallel to the river before taking a rough track out along a peninsula.  At the point of the peninsula we obtained very good views of two groups of 6 BROWN -HEADED HONEYEATERs.  Heading back we saw a pair of AUSTRALASIAN GREBEs inbreeding plumage and a FERAL GOOSE,  Several of the group also saw a Platypus in the River.  On returning to the cars we found the Gang-gangs had increased in number to 7 and had basically covered on cars in nipped off eucalyptus buds!

A full list of the birds seen will be included in the Trips section of the COG website in the near future.

FUTURE TRIPS
As a result of pleading by a number of members of the group who are gadding to other parts in September the foray along Mountain Creek Road has been postponed until 20 October.  More details will be provided closer to the date.

The September walk on the 15th of that month will visit Cooleman Ridge.  Meet at the end of Kathner St (see attached image) at 9am.

The editors of Gang-gang may wish to insert the above in relevant parts of their  journal!

Martin