canberrabirds

800th national park milestone protects our heritage

To: <>
Subject: 800th national park milestone protects our heritage
From: "Tony Lawson" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:37:08 +1000

The declaration of a 2,800 hectare national park in the spectacular Capertee Valley this week created the 800th New South Wales reserve.

The reservation of Capertee National Park meant that there was now more than 6.76 million hectares protected forever under the NSW National Parks system.

This is a significant milestone which builds upon the 472 parks the NSW Labor Government has added since 1995.

This amounts to an additional 2.7 million hectares, compared to the paltry efforts of the Greiner and Fahey Governments that saw just 400,000 hectares added to our reserve system in 7 years.

National parks offer havens for our precious plants and animals and refuges for them from the impacts of climate change. They also offer us all opportunities to escape our busy lives and enjoy nature at its most spectacular.

Regional tourism and local economies across New South Wales also benefit from national parks with visitors using local services and accommodation in towns nearby.

The property known as ?Port Macquarie? includes 15 kilometres of the Capertee River and is a known breeding and feeding site for the nationally endangered regent honeyeater.

The Capertee Valley is the most reliable of only three core breeding areas for the regent honeyeater in south-eastern Australia.

The property is a haven for woodland birds with another ten threatened species known to be present, including the diamond firetail, hooded robin, turquoise parrot and barking owl, with many others.

It also contains more than 350 hectares of nationally significant critically endangered white boxyellow box-Blakeley?s red gum grassy woodland and is the habitat of several threatened plants.

In all, seventeen threatened animal species have been recorded on the property including the spotted-tailed quoll and the large-eared pied bat.

As the area is already renowned among local and overseas birdwatchers, it is expected to draw people from all over the world.

The property was settled in the mid 1800s by George Innes, brother of Major Archibald Innes who helped establish Port Macquarie on the mid north coast.

Aboriginal sites such as hand stencils are found on the property.

There is a beautiful four bedroom homestead which would provide attractive accommodation for park visitors once the works are done to make the park more easily accessible to the public. There are also plans for camping grounds and other facilities.

The $4 million property was purchased by the NSW Government with almost $2.7 million of assistance from the Australian Government through its Caring for our Country initiative.

It was purchased from Dr Michael and Dorothy Harrison who had owned the property for 32 years.

We let much of the property return to bush after we moved in and it is amazing to see the extent of vegetation that has returned after 30 years.

?My wife and I always said it would make a great national park and we are very pleased it will now be protected for the community to enjoy forever.?

The establishment of this park is part of an ongoing program by the Government to protect the wide range of ecosystems occurring in NSW. This is guided by the NSW National

Parks Establishment Plan released by the NSW Government in July 2008.

Facts

  • NSW now has 800 reserves, covering over 8.4% of NSW including:

*189 national parks
*399 nature reserves
*112 state conservation areas
*15 historic sites
*16 Aboriginal areas

  • NSW has more than two million hectares declared as wilderness
  • The first national park in NSW was Royal National Park which was created in 1879. It was also the first in Australia and the second in the world after Yellowstone.
  • The United Nations has declared 2010 to be the International Year of Biodiversity.
  • There are six marine parks in New South Wales. These help to protect approximately 34 per cent of the NSW coastal area.
  • There are now over 2 million hectares of declared wilderness within our parks ? or just over 2 per cent of NSW.
  • The new park is in keeping with the State Plan priority to protect native vegetation, biodiversity, land and rivers.