canberrabirds

Rufous Songlark in Aranda (was: Place of sighting)

To: "Janet Russell" <>, <>
Subject: Rufous Songlark in Aranda (was: Place of sighting)
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 20:03:45 +1000
Hi Janet

I thought I would respond to your query about Rufous Songlark. My immediate
reaction is that we need a bit more information - when is "from time to time"?
Has this bird been singing/calling very recently, for example?  Rufous
Songlarks are very active songsters in spring and summer, but tend to fall
silent post-breeding. Most would leave Canberra for the winter but
over-wintering birds do sometimes occur, I believe.  I looked up Gidabal Street
on Google Maps and I see it is in the area between Bandjalong Crescent and
Belconnen Way - this strikes me as an unlikely locality for a Rufous Songlark
(although not very far from good places for them down towards William Hovell
Drive) - they prefer fairly open habitat - paddocks with tall grass and
scattered trees.  I don't live in Aranda but I'm not too far away (in
Macquarie) - if this bird calls at a particular time of day, and is likely to
be doing so at this time of year, I might have a wander around the Gidabal
Street area this
weekend, and see what I can hear.

Regards
Frank Antram