canberrabirds

Winterbirds project

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Subject: Winterbirds project
From: John Brannan <>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 19:10:00 +1000
One BFCS shuffling its wings this afternoon (Mon. 7th) at the Pinnacle, Hawker.

John Brannan

Geoffrey Dabb wrote:

Today is the start of the nominal ‘low’ period for this 8-week exercise, the framework of which is repeated below.

Martin has helpfully provided summary data for 8 of the 10 species for 28 years of the GBS – the other 2 not being recorded in gardens in the 8-week period. Of itself, this table seems to raise some interesting points, but enough of that for now. This exercise is of course not limited to GBS sites and extends to the whole COG area of interest.

Full Period

RAOU_number

New_name

Total # birds

# sites

F%

338

Fan-tailed Cuckoo

25

22

0.0021

1.3

401

Rufous Whistler

410

364

0.0344

20.8

424

Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike

2287

1586

0.1916

90.7

453

White-throated Gerygone

13

10

0.0011

0.6

463

Western Gerygone

12

9

0.0010

0.5

547

Dusky Woodswallow

175

15

0.0147

0.9

645

Noisy Friarbird

306

139

0.0256

8.0

671

Olive-backed Oriole

20

20

0.0017

1.1

Site weeks

sites active

Denominators

11934

1748

Shaun Bagley has pointed out that some of the subject birds might be not absent but silent, which is part of the challenge. A silent reed-warbler skulking somewhere in a reed-bed (which the ACT atlas suggests one or two might do) would be quite a find.