canberrabirds

A couple of hours birdwatching 46 species

To: kamprad <>
Subject: A couple of hours birdwatching 46 species
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:42:00 +1000
Having a ;little spare time this morning I decided toreplicate Julienne's route.  The weather today could be described as 'average' or 'typically English": a steady breeze and equally steady drizzle. I am glad I went in the car not on my bike!  Despite this dire climate I recorded 32 species on what I call the Foxlow Loop.  Highlights were:
Dusky Moorhen (2 at Molonglo River and Briars-Sharrow Road - this is the first time I have recorded them in the area);
Australian Shelduck (2 pairs in separate dams S of Foxlow Lagoon);
Southern Whiteface (at least 6 in two locations S of Foxlow Lagoon);
Scarlet Robin (1);
Flame Robin (at least 5 - 1 male and 4 brown birds beside Molonglo River at Foxlow Bridge)
Diamond Firetail (1 seen at Foxlow Bridge and at least 1 heard about 1km back along the road)
Hooded Robin (1 female at Foxlow bridge).

Many flocks of Little Raven - the largest was about 50 birds.  Many Welcome Swallows hunting over Foxlow Lagoon, which was otherwise devoid of birds despite having a good coverage of water.

Martin