canberrabirds

What season are we in?

To: "Bird List" <>
Subject: What season are we in?
From: "David Rosalky" <>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 10:00:28 +1000
Last evening, a Blackbird was singing briefly near my Deakin home and this morning, a juvenile Olive-backed Oriole spent several minutes in a deciduous tree in my street.  While the (now rather old) ACT Atlas has a small but significant abundance for May, the later books drawn from the GBS have very low A values for May.  The difference may be a time trend and/or a geographical difference.  But it seems this guy is a bit of a laggard and possible one of the last OBOs this season.

The Oriole, which was initially alone in the tree, was suddenly the centre of attraction:  some 13 Red Wattlebirds appeared to keep it company.  There was no evidence of aggression.  I suspect it was a migrating flock using the same tree.

David Rosalky
Deakin