canberrabirds

tawny frogmouths

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: tawny frogmouths
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 20:51:29 +1000
Thanks for that report, John and Cathie.
As a Blogger, I frequently photograph these birds, and the question of how they feed (on the wing, vs the sit and pounce on a scuttling Cockroach, or mouse method) often comes up in comments. I am sure Martin Butterfield is also likely to take note, as he has them living nearby.

It is great to read your first hand observation.
Pretty much as I had expected, by the way, but sometimes people doubt the birds' capabilities to catch insects on the wing, at night.

There have been many Bogong Moths around at Robertson, the last few nights.
Did you notice any extra activity like that?

Cheers

Original comment:

I just (6pm) heard a rustling in the oak tree outside - the oak tree that
had flying foxes on Friday night - and went outside to look and found 2
frogmouths flying out to catch insects and then returning to perch.  It was
just like watching Dollarbirds fly out, manoeuvre a bit and then return to a
branch, but at night.

John Goldie and Kathy Walter
Watson