canberrabirds

Chiltern-Mt Pilot

To: <>
Subject: Chiltern-Mt Pilot
From: "Shaun Bagley" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:17:06 +1000

Spent the long weekend down in the Rutherglen-Chiltern area.  Got lucky in a stand of flowering Ironbark where there was the usual cacophony of Noisy Friarbirds and Red Wattlebirds scrapping over the blossoms.  In the lower canopy of an Ironbark, my eye was drawn to a curved-billed shadow of a bird pumping up and down as it called, though inaudibly in the racket of the others. There was a single Regent Honeyeater, sitting in a position that protected it from the aggressive attentions of the larger Honeyeaters.  I watched it for close to 40 minutes, during which it ventured away from its perch twice to feed in the same tree.  It evaded Friarbirds, who seemed to zero in on it, by going to the extremities of the branches, which afforded a great view of its back as it faced downward to reach the furthest flowers not available to the Friarbirds.  Returning to its perch it spent considerable time preening its plumage which again afforded wonderful views of the bird from several different angles.  At less than 10 metres, it seemed unperturbed by my presence and more interested in the goings-on above which it kept an eye or two on by twisting its neck to and fro while remaining stationary on its perch. An exquisite experience with a beautiful bird!

Cheers

Shaun Bagley