canberrabirds

Easter camp-out at Spring Forest (1)

To: <>
Subject: Easter camp-out at Spring Forest (1)
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:49:41 +1000

As this is one of COG’s more significant events, it is worth saying a word or two about it  -  and I shall, being careful not to trespass on the role of the official chronicler, from whom we shall hear through the normal channel.  I sometimes think that a noticeable division within the members of this club is between those who have attended a few of these events and those who have not.  They are recommended to anyone with any enthusiasm, or even tolerance, for camping out and getting up where the birds are.

This one was not all that well participated in, 13 persons roughly split into the male and female, and into those actively supporting the economy and retired layabouts.  Mozzies and grass seeds were BAD, the weather, the birds and the company were GOOD.  Best of all was the lively schedule of activities splendidly organised by Margaret McJ and Charles, who, it must be said, had met with some difficulty in even gaining access to the site.  The key was finally obtained through a tortuous process which culminated in a clandestine drop and pick-up, arranged at LACHLAN FERTILIZERS in order to conceal the trail.

But, going back a bit, the timing of the whole thing of course depended on  the state of the moon.  It is traditional at Easter camp-outs to have someone comment on the moon, like:  ‘Gee, look at that full moon.  That’s a co-incidence.  We had a full moon at the last Easter camp-out’.  There is a reason why this must be said EARLY in the camp-out.  As we all know Easter Sunday in the governing tradition must be the first Sunday after the first full moon after the (southern) Autumn equinox.  As the relevant f/moon was on 30 March, this meant that by the Monday (5/4) the moon was not really all that fullish.

I shall report further on other points of interest that arose during this excursion.

to Spring Forest.jpg