canberrabirds

Painted Button-quail Some evidence of absence

To: COG list <>
Subject: Painted Button-quail Some evidence of absence
From: con <>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:51:30 +1100
Painted Button-quail are one of the ACT's mystery birds. They are cryptic. They freeze. Competent observers will find them with effort, but this requires virtually a targeted effort. (Except for odd birds that flush).

Are they here all year round? If so, do they move around the region? Do they move within or between, say, individual reserves, once breeding is over? Are they regular seasonal migrants? Is their presence in the ACT more depndent on events elsewhere? How common are they?

Last year we located many sites where PBQs had created platelets and heard from others who had also located them. In our case, there was a set of environmental factors that the platelet sites tended to have in common. In general, these are in woodlands with some rocks, dead branches on the ground, some bare patches, some shrubs, tussocks, leaf litter, often on a northerly or north-easterly slope. But PBQs are know to have fairly wide habitat preferences. While the PBQs are not randomly distributed within the ACT there are stray ACT records of PBQs that do not match our 'usual' sites, including a sighting in a higher, wetter forest, backyards and the shores of Lake Gininderra.

On Black Mountain, prior to Christmas, we located five sites where Painted Button-quail had created platelets. The platelets are highly distinctive and can readily be separated from other scratchings and diggings in the litter. There were literally hundreds of platelets between the three sites. There were sightings of PBQs in two of the five sites. We also observed that rain made it possible to identify which platelets were old and which were fresh.

This morning we searched three of last year's Black Mountain sites for signs of platelets. Not a shard of a platelet to be found.

We then scouted beyond the perimeters of the sites, covering an area of (very roughly) about one kilometres by 40 metres. Again, not a platelet.

It seems that the platelets can be used as a means of learning a lot more about PBQs than we know now.