canberrabirds

RE: 3 food preferences at the Narrabundah shops #2 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "'Whitworth, Benjamin - BRS'" <>
Subject: RE: 3 food preferences at the Narrabundah shops #2 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:02:09 +1100

Benj  -  I understand that that species of crane became extinct as the slightly enhanced level of alertness did not compensate for the disadvantage of the broken foot.

 The other interesting species from this viewpoint is the below (young bird shown).   I believe the holding foot is usually the left one.  Sometimes as here the bird braces the food against the grounded holding foot while extracting the pith, but the dominant foot, if that _expression_ can be used, might be the foot on which the bird relies for balance.  g

indigo swamphen.jpg