canberrabirds

a Belconnen koel youngster

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: a Belconnen koel youngster
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:53:57 +1100

At last I tracked down a Belconnen koel chick, after pounding the pavements for weeks, searching. It was always probable at least one was in the vicinity as a male koel has for the last several weeks been flying around Page and calling, presumably (possibly?) waiting to gather up his offspring for the migration north. And at about 7am this morning, we hit pay gold. There was persistent begging from a peppermint on the corner of Burkitt and Dallachy Sts, Page; a Red Wattlebird flew into the tree, then a minute or two later, out again, pursued by a larger begging bird with a conspicuously long broad tail. The latter bird obligingly perched on an exposed limb in a tree across the road and posed nicely, revealing itself to be a koel chick. Success at last! Though sadly, I’d given up carrying the camera to record it. b