canberrabirds

Re: Sacred kingfisher

To: "'Paul T.'" <>
Subject: Re: Sacred kingfisher
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:23:43 +1100
Oh well. A Sacred Kingfisher is the garden is still quite a nice event.
Nothing to be disappointed about. Azure Kingfishers are much more rare
in Canberra area.  Another point to note is that all the Sacred
Kingfishers I have seen in my garden area have been silent. This being
quite different to how noisy they are when they are in their breeding
area in the woodland reserves and along river edges. It may also be a
matter of timing (post breeding). Not odd for them to hang around.
Whilst I had one this week, I also had one seen over several days 7 & 8
weeks ago (can't say it was the same one though).