canberrabirds

Re: Sacred kingfisher

Subject: Re: Sacred kingfisher
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:06:01 +1100
At 10:47 PM 17/02/2010, you wrote:
About the bird. On that hard to say on just that. I would say though
that a "bird that sat on their washing line for ages yesterday." sounds
so very much more likely for a Sacred Kingfisher though. They are coming
through Canberra at this time (I had one at my place on the power line
to my house, on last Sunday, and I have them at least once on maybe half
the number of years). Azure Kingfishers are typically much more
secretive than that and it would seem odd to like to sit somewhere so
exposed, especially in such odd habitat.

Philip,

Yeah, you're right. I was overly excited when I checked, and when I looked in a different reference book, the pic for the sacred was almost spot on for my bird (the dark band around the back of the head was a dead giveaway). I should have looked further before jumping to conclusions. I've still never had a sacred kingfisher here though, so I'm still not exactly unhappy. <grin> Sorry for the incorrect ID. I've only ever seen any of the smaller kingfishers once before, and from a far greater distance. Definitely not sen in my garden before this, but hopefully he may hand around and give me some more views.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia - USDA Zone Equivalent approx. 8/9

Growing an eclectic collection of plants from all over the world including Aroids, Crocus, Cyclamen, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Galanthus, Irises, Trilliums (to name but a few) and just about anything else that doesn't move!!