canberrabirds

another insect

Subject: another insect
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:59:12 +1100
At 03:10 PM 16/02/2010, you wrote:
Hi John

It's probably Discolia soror
I photographed this one this week in Melba in my garden.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bronking/4344852389/in/set-72157623192244808/

Bron et al,

I've had something similar here, a few years running (I didn't notice them last summer though), but I think mine were slightly larger than 20-3omm, probably closer to 40 in some cases. They were not small wasps, definitely larger than European Wasps for example. They were always in the same place, so I am wondering whether it is something visually similar, but that is a small colony rather than solitary as the info Frank linked to mentioned. It does say they form a small swarm at certain times of year, but the ones here were always in the same place in the garden, and always in a group. They seemed to radiate out from a certain point, which I have always consumed a nest (up in a Photinia, so I never did get a chance to check). Perfectly harmless, at least at my place. You could walk through them as they circled without disturbing them. For quite a while I never did get to see them properly, until one day they were there when I was watering, so I sprayed one lightly with water. It dropped to the ground and I got a good look at it while it took a couple of minutes to dry off. I've done it a couple of other times, just to have another look at them. I always wait until they're low to the ground so that they don't have far to fall. The blue of the wings is so iridescent. Interestingly, I used to see the same things when I ran a garden maintenance business, and they were always in ground of 2 or 3, never by themselves. I wonder if they are the same thing (Discolia soror) and just that I only noticed them when they were in their "group" mode?

Fascinating to find out what they may be.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Higgins, ACT