canberrabirds

Reedy to go

To: <>
Subject: Reedy to go
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:03:27 +1100

Personally, I don’t mind if people refer to any tall green sort of grassy stuff growing in water as ‘reeds’.  However, as someone asked me, my understanding, open to correction, is :

reedy stuff.jpg

Typha (particularly) and reed (along the creek) are both common enough at Jerra Wetlands, but locally Juncis seems to occur mainly where it has been planted, such as at Norgrove where it is rampant, almost frighteningly so.  From the height there, well over 2m in places, I think it might be the ‘Giant’ species, or perhaps a cultivar.

A particularly ambulatory term is ‘bulrush’.  When they found Moses in it, it might or might not have been papyrus, but it means something else in the UK, and in North America it often refers to Typha, a usage followed by some Australians.

There is a line in The Man from Snowy River:   ‘where around the Overflow the reedbeds sweep and sway to the breezes ...’    I have sometimes wondered whether Banjo Paterson’s image was of Typha or Phragmites.  It would help to know where ‘the Overflow’ was.  Some say it was (at least in Clancy of the Overflow) a property in western NSW, perhaps on the Macquarie, others that it was a frequently dry lake in the Bogan system near Nyngan.   Both kinds of stuff occur in the general area, but according to Mr Cunningham it is Phragmites australis that forms extensive ‘almost impenetrable’ communities in low-lying areas of the Macquarie and the Lachlan-Murrumbidgee.   Furthermore it is a characteristic of reed that it ‘sweeps and sways’ and the image does not fit a camp of stockmen telling yarns against a background of moonlit clumps of erect and rigid cumbungi.