canberrabirds

Australia: Monga, McKenzies, Currowan, Reedy Ck, Boorowa [SEC=UNCLASSIFI

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Australia: Monga, McKenzies, Currowan, Reedy Ck, Boorowa [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Whitworth, Benjamin - BRS" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:49:34 +1100

I decided to ‘re-experience’ AUSTRALIA around the week of Australia day. To see if I had become an Ivory Tower Public servant??? Plus with 40 degrees temps predicted I wanted to get out.

Monga: So on the morning of the 20th I left to experience dawn in the Monga rainforest. This turned out to be a major error and after dodging and narrowly missing 5 kangaroos my nerves were in shreds and I was shaking by the time I got to Monga. But the rainforest quickly soothed the soul. I had picked a great morning and after dawn I had pilot birds, a bassian thrush, black faced monarch, I think broad billed scrubwrens and brown gerygones although I am not sure, a yellow robin seemed to be more interested in me, than me in it, and of course lyrebirds. The one I didn’t get was rufous fantail.

Beach: Stayed in Batehaven- it was good to see little wattle birds and scaley breasted lorikeets. The coast was hot at 31 degrees but not 40 degrees which it was in Canberra. At the beach, Mckenzies had huge waves. A WBSE, gannets and terns. At low tide I saw 3 species of anemone including the red anemone- which looks almost like jelly when closed up. I was watching some anemones open and feed, for about 25 minutes. Some kids came over, I think they thought I had died. There were also the odd green anemones and strangely in a small pool about 20cm by 1m there were 150 small green anemones.

Also saw a nudibranch, for the first time. It was stuck in a rockpool. It was tiny, only 1.5cm. it was white with red spots on the face and a red funnely-type thing on its rump??? I bought a seashores book so hope to brush up. It was good to see some chitons aswell.

Lyons Rd: Currowan State Forest (near the Western distributor). Saw another black faced monarch and a family of variegated fairy wrens. Olive whistler, lyrebird.

Reedy Creek TSR: Goulburn Rd: Echidna. A flock of choughs. Leucochrysum albicans and lemon beautyheads in flower.

Boorowa: Australia day. Dollarbirds. A family of wrens which had ‘a baby’ Horsfields bronze cuckoo which was twice their size. It was contantly begging, following and pecking at the wrens, who seemed more than a little frazzled. Two roosts of Flying foxes were in town, , which seemed a strange place- I couldn’t see which species they were.

Benj

------
IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain sensitive and/or legally privileged material. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.

Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly. Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF
------