canberrabirds

Bywong [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Bywong [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Whitworth, Benjamin - BRS" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:01:46 +1100

It was very hot and a bit windy, but I managed to see some good birds.

Pallid cuckoo, koel, olive backed oriole, white throated gerygone, dusky woodswallow, mistletoe bird and grey butcherbird. I also heard grey currawong but it was on private property. Also in the distance my eyes were drawn to a jizz that stood out and seemed to be sittellas. Then they fle over me (I think there were 4- I left my notes at home). Another day I also saw a large MFF of various thornbills, including begging youngsters (buff rumps), fantails, rufous whistlers, GST, BFCS, the usuals. Although one bird was really different, high in the canopy. It took me a while to work out it was a wwt female. After, I heard chup chup chupping and thought ‘must be some brown headed honeyeaters’. Then I heard ‘mew, mew, mewing’ and a flock of 6 white napes flew off east, so thought I must have been mistaken. But no, about 10 minutes later a flock of 4 brown-headeds flew west. Whats else?? Hmmm- a flock of about 30 little ravens, choughs, I missed out on a wedgie this time.

My friend’s husband said he often saw a heron with a white neck. I said ‘naah’ as their property is pretty well surrounded mainly by bush with a few small hobby farms. But the next day I was wrong again and a pacific heron glided in, much to the annoyance of the noisy miners. Later on in the day I got good views of the comparison with the white faced heron, as 2 flew in. Their size and behaviour are quite different. Also a large flock of white ibis flew in.

I think all-up I got about 60 species, with 5 threatened species and another 5 rare ones.

Also, found some lemon beautyheads, chocolate lilies, sticky paper daisies, clustered and common everylasting daisies and lots of Vittidinia in flower- including a variety I didn’t recognise.

Benj Whitworth

------
IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain sensitive and/or legally privileged material. It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.

Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly. Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF
------