canberrabirds

Powerful Owl in Cook??

To: <>
Subject: Powerful Owl in Cook??
From: "Nicki Taws" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 08:43:17 +1100
Last night, at about 2am, I was woken by an owl calling outside, not the normal 'boo-book' call but much slower and deeper, a two-toned hoo-hoo, the second note slightly higher - a call I normally associate with a Powerful Owl. Now, a more committed birder than I may have leapt out of bed and gone prowling the suburb of Cook armed with high-powered torch, camera and/or sound-recording equipment, but.... I value my sleep and drifted back to it when the calling stopped after about 10 minutes.

I might go prowling the suburb today, or at least Wybalena Grove, looking for a suitable roost tree - it would be a good addition to the GBS. Or maybe it is just a commuter bird from the Gardens - it's less than 4km as the owl flies, depending whether you go straight over Black Mt or around.

Maybe anyone who lives in the vicinity could keep a window open at night in case it calls again.

cheers
Nicki Taws

0408 210 736