canberrabirds

Wedge-tailed Eagle over Hughes

To: <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Wedge-tailed Eagle over Hughes
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:41:06 +1100
From the GBS Report, the F value of the Wedge-tailed Eagle is 12.06%.  Which means that the average of the annual values over those 21 years of the proportion of sites at which the species was recorded at least once in the year (i.e. F%), is 12.06%. This would tend to suggest that having missed it for 15 years, it has so far been under observed at your site.

As for me I observe them I think every year and most likely several observations (i.e. weeks) per record (i.e. year). But then again I am between Mt Taylor and the Murrumbidgee and they commute over my house. And I do spend much time hanging up the washing.

As for "The list of possibles for the house list is getting shorter". That is a well known phenomenon that applies to all such systems and is shown on the GBS Report in Figure 15 that combined data for all sites together and shown in inverse in Figure 16 (but making the same point if you think around it) for the seven sites that contributed every year.

Had to happen eventually, of course, but we've finally spotted one (c.11.30am this morning). Only took 16 years....

The list of possibles for the house list is getting shorter.

:-)

John Leonard