canberrabirds

Fan-tailed Cuckoo with Leaden Flycatch host & Pallid Cuckoo with E. Spin

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Fan-tailed Cuckoo with Leaden Flycatch host & Pallid Cuckoo with E. Spinebill host
From: "kamprad" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 17:31:37 +1100
Dear COGites

We have had 2 interesting sightings of cuckoos in the last couple of weeks in our GBS site

8/1/2010. An Eastern Spinebill feeding a juv. Pallid Cuckoo. The spinebill brought food to the cuckoo several times. The cuckoo also sought its own food from the ground between 'parental' feeds. We saw the 2  birds together a few times in the following week.

23/1/2010. yesterday afternoon around 4:30 I saw a female Leaden Flycatcher feeding an imm. Fan-tailed Cuckoo in my BGS site. Pizzey & Knight suggest Flycatcher hosts are possible. I saw these 2 birds together again this morning.

In September last year I observed the mating of Horsfelds Bronze-Cuckoos also in my GBS site.

Its all go for the cuckoos around here.

Its also all go for species caring for/in the company of  their own young. White-winged Triller, Superb Fairywren, Weebill, Striated Pardolate. White-faced Heron, White-browed Scrubwren, L. Kookaburra, Sacred Kingfisher, Grey Fantail, Willie Wagtail, Dusky Woodswallow. Yellow-rumped TB, Striated TB to name some.

Julienne K

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.0.0.19 - 10.004.116).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/