canberrabirds

more birding in tokyo- oi yacho koen

To: "'Raquel Ormella'" <>
Subject: more birding in tokyo- oi yacho koen
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:36:44 +1100

Most frustrating with no F Guide, Raquel.  Among the books acquired in the buying frenzy caused by my own fieldguide-deprived days, I have –

M Brazil  -  The Birds of Japan

Wild Bird Soc of J  -  A Field Guide to the Birds of Japan

Y Yamashina  -  Birds in Japan: a Field Guide

J Robinson  -  A Birder’s Guide to Japan

K Kobayashi – Birds of Japan in Natural Colours (in Japanese)

Y Kiyosu – Bird’s Life in Japan (in Japanese, 2 vols)

I do not speak Japanese and have never been birdwatching in Japan.  However if there’s something in particular I can look it up for you.

One of my favourite little books is “Japanese Birds” by Prince Nobusuke Takatukasa, in English and  published by ‘Board of Tourist Industry, Japanese Government Railways’ IN 1941.  Evocative watercolours show the birds the English-speaking tourist in 1941 might have come across in travelling through the Japanese countryside.  One of the illustrations is below.  I have indicated the Daurian Redstart, evidently a common-enough sight from your railway carriage.

in Japan.jpg