canberrabirds

Spotted Turtle-Doves in Kambah

To: <>
Subject: Spotted Turtle-Doves in Kambah
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 18:05:39 +1100
Hi COG Chat Line members

David McDonald has just written: "The Spotted Dove is a species that needs monitoring in our region to determine if or when the point comes that an eradication program is needed."

I do not wish to start a heated debate - far from it.
But, for what it is worth, this season, STDs are becoming firmly established in Bowral (Southern Highlands) and having recently visited Nowra, I was surprised to find them "common" there.

Obviously they do have the propensity to establish themselves in large numbers. We know that from Sydney and Melbourne anyway.

I am not against research to establish a formal case, but I cannot help asking:
  • "Why do we need to wait until they have built up into problematic numbers before looking at an Eradication Program?"
That approach has led to the major effort required to control the Common Myna.
Surely early intervention is a better strategy?