canberrabirds

Hobby nest in Corroboree Park - Information from RSPCA concerening Hobby

To: 'COG line' <>
Subject: Hobby nest in Corroboree Park - Information from RSPCA concerening Hobby nest and Gang Gang nestlings
From: Robin Hide <>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:55:48 +1100
I emailed the RSPCA yesterday to ask what they had seen when the tree was lopped (and send them my information on the Hobbies use of the tree this year)  -  this (copied to COG with her permission) is Natasha Ackland's useful reply...
Robin Hide

Dear Robin.

I was present yesterday when the top of the tree in Corroboree Park was removed. I inspected the Hobby nest both up in the crown prior to any trimming being undertaken and after it fell. When I was on the way up to the nest the first time there were wattlebirds sitting next to the nest without fear so I expect the hobbies hadn’t been there too recently.

Thanks for your attachment, it has some lovely photos included. If the Hobbies did indeed hatch in that nest this year their young have fledged, as have the majority of smaller Raptors in the Canberra area. There was no evidence of recent usage, perhaps the recent very hot and dry weather has dried the nest more than usual leading to it looking like it has been unused for a longer period. My mistake, sorry. The nest contained much old fur matter and droppings dried well and truly to dust. There was no sign of egg fragments at all.

I saw one Hobby or Falcon in the area yesterday afternoon, coasting very high above in a straight line northwards and not observing the park at all.

I did remove two nestling gang gangs prior to trimming. The hope was to replace them after the crown was removed but their nesting hollow was quite shallow and without the crown was very exposed to predators and the elements so as a welfare regard they were placed in foster care. They will be released back in the area when independent. The parents did continue to attend the nest for the day and I would expect them to fret for several days as they would in the event of losing their young to a predator or other natural manner. They will be the best ones to decide whether they re-use that hollow and lay again in it or if they find a new site.

Natasha Ackland

Manager, Wildlife Services

RSPCA ACT

PO BOX 3082
WESTON CREEK ACT 2611
T:        02 6287 8113
F:        02 6288 3184
E:
m("rspca-act.org.au","cnackland");" title=" blocked:: ">m("rspca-act.org.au","mpeachey");">
W:
www.rspca-act.org.au

The RSPCA is an independent, non-government community-based charity providing animal care and protection services.  The RSPCA relies on donations from the public in order to carry out its work.  If you would like to make a donation to the RSPCA please visit the RSPCA website at www.rspca-act.org.au and click on help us.  You can also ring the RSPCA Donation Line on 1300 4 RSPCA (777 22)
Whilst care has been taken in the preparation of the contents of this email, it is general information only and must not be relied upon or considered as a substitute for specific advice including veterinary advice.
RSPCA (ACT) and the author do not assume or accept any responsibility and shall not be liable for the accuracy or appropriate application of the information contained in this email.
This email (and any attachments) is intended only for the addressee. If you are not the addressee you may not use, disseminate or copy this information. If you have received this information in error, please immediately destroy this email and attachments.
No liability is accepted for any loss or damage that may be caused to your computer, its network or any other system as a result of the receipt of this electronic communication.

Geoffrey Dabb wrote:

The hobbies might have completed.  There was a nest in a pine at the NE corner of the Duntroon playing fields that you could watch while queued at one of Canberra’s most irritating intersections – the lights at Fairbairn Ave and Morshead Dve.  Young from that fledged during last week.