canberrabirds

January mid-week walk

To: COG List <>
Subject: January mid-week walk
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:45:31 +1100
I am sending this mail round a tad early so that people can, if they wish to, factor it in to their holiday activity plans.  A reminder will be sent closer to the time.

The walk will, climate permitting, be on Wednesday 20 January.  If there is a total fire ban the event will be cancelled.  As we are going to the Tinderries it is likely to be a fair amount cooler than Canberra so I (at least) will be going if the weather is merely hot!

We have been invited to a large property including 1km of frontage to the Queanbeyan River.  A lot of work has been done on regeneration of native vegetation and more is planned.  The landowner is already working out plans for gettng us to the more interesting spots.  I have suggested to him that a 5 hour visit (including a lunch stop) is about what we would like.

I have suggested that we would get to the venue about 9am and my estimate is that it is about an hour (65km) from Queanbeyan.  There will be about 25km of dirt road each way but I would n't expect 4 x 4 to be needed.  However to keep our carbon footprint under a bit of control I suggest carpooling at Queanbeyan (Spotlight car park) would be appropriate .  The route will pass through Captains Flat towards Jerangle and I would join in at the end of Briars-Sharrow Rd, Carwoola.

To facilitate carpooling I would appreciate people letting me know - preferably by email to this address -if they are intending to participate.

Best regards and Seasons Greetings

Martin