canberrabirds

Some recent Carwoola observations

To: COG List <>
Subject: Some recent Carwoola observations
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:51:10 +1100
On Thursday evening a great ruckus broke out overhead.  This turned to be caused by a Crimson Rosella squawking as it was chased by a Brown Goshawk, that was silentbut, in turn, being pursued by two very un-silent Noisy Friarbirds.  Unfortunately my camera was not to hand.  It has however caused me to try, unsuccesfully thus far,  to locate the nest of the Friarbirds which I am certain is somewhere nearby as I have seen them carting nesting material.

This morning a resident of the area told me that he has a Gre Shrike-thrush nesting in his garage.  They are working on their second brood of this year.  Last year they nested on his verandah.  I intend to go a photograph them (apparently they are quite relaxed about humanity) and thus be able to submit a data sheet.

Also this morning the family of frogmouths reappeared after an absence of some days: still a group of 4, but roosting as a group of three (dad and juveniles) with mum sitting about 2m away.

Martin