canberrabirds

Poor Callum Brae

To: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Subject: Poor Callum Brae
From: "Canberra Ornithologists Group Inc." <>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 16:24:52 +1100 (EST)
Margaret - I don't think the warren ripping is disturbing the birds much.  Many of the warrens they've already removed are in pretty open spots. when I was surveying there last Tuesday am the digger was operating on the edge of one of the COG survey sites, and although it made hearing the birds a bit difficult for survey purposes, the birds didn't seem all that concerned, and it won't be for all that long. highlight for the morning for me was a display flight by pair of brown goshawks - tumbling down with legs outstretched towards each other. they haven't set up house in the usual spot near the old explosives stores but appear to be favouring the other side of Callum Brae reserve this year

sandra henderson

On Thu, December 3, 2009 11:06, Margaret Leggoe wrote:
> This morning I was delighted by the amount of bird life abounding in
> Callum
> Brae, and spent much of my time watching a noisy miner's nest.
>

> Of course the inevitable ground life included rabbits.
>

> As I was leaving I met a young man from an earth-moving company just
> entering the reserve to refuel, he said, the earth-moving equipment being
> used to rip up the rabbit warrens. I shed no tears over the rabbits, but
> what about the birds nesting all around? Why can't they use 1080? Dogs
> are
> not permitted in the reserve anyway, so that if the occasional fox eats
> the
> poisoned rabbits, well and good.
>

> Margaret Leggoe

Canberra Ornithologists Group Inc.