canberrabirds

From our political correspondent

To: <>
Subject: From our political correspondent
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:24:31 +1100

Was it my imagination, or were rules established for this chatline?  I remember something about no commercial advertising, and I have a glimmer of recollection about ‘no politics’ or something to that effect.  Not only is my memory slipping, but I can’t find the rules anywhere.

Anyway, I can’t help raising a matter that might seem a bit political.

I see that we are heading into a period of political debate when a sharper edge will be put on the  question ‘just how serious is global warming?’  I see that Mr Abbott is moving to the position that the planet ‘deserves the benefit of the doubt’ and ‘something’ should be done.  I foresee that a future election might turn on just what people think GW is responsible for.  Indeed, the election might depend on whether voting takes place on a warmish day.

As I understand it, a connection has not been definitely established between global warming and the current prolonged dry period in south-eastern Australia, although many people believe there is such a connection.  Such a belief could be another electoral factor, so no doubt we shall hear more about it.

Getting back to the birds, ‘prolonged rainfall deficiency’ has been pointed to as a cause in the crash in numbers of woodland birds in SE Aust.  I was reading a speech by Kelvin Thomson, MHR for Wills, at Monash University, 23 November, in which all these issues were run together.  He said -

<< In central Victoria’s woodlands the number of Kookaburras has declined by 30% in

just four years. The number of Koalas in Queensland and New South Wales has

declined dramatically, and it is possible that there are now fewer than 50,000 Koalas

left in the wild. The same study that found the 30% decline in Kookaburras also

found a 30% or greater decline in Robins, and even greater declines for various

Honeyeaters, Flycatchers and Kingfishers.

 The study noted that eucalypt flowering had declined significantly over the past 12

years of drought, and detected virtually no bird breeding in the latest survey periods.

Some 30% of Australia’s bird species are now regarded as threatened, and

internationally the number of birds listed as critically endangered continues to rise.>>

In short, the looming question is:  if you like birds, should you vote for Kevin Rudd?  Of course, each of us will answer that for ourselves.  Not everyone sees things in the same way, and nor should they.  Scuffles over political differences at the coming Christmas Party are possible but unlikely, and would be very non-COG.

Simple birdwatchers though we are, we should not overlook the divisiveness of this issue for some people.  In the Monash speech, Mr Thomson went on, after talking about the missing birds:

<< First, whatever the political pressures we’re under, and no doubt they’re significant,

we have a duty to take a science-based, evidence-based approach. I note that Senator

Nick Minchin recently said on Four Corners that climate change, “for the extreme

left, provides the opportunity to do what they have always wanted to do, which is to

sort of de-industrialise the Western world. The collapse of communism was a disaster

for the left and really, they embraced environment as their new religion”. >>

Dear me.