canberrabirds

Dromornis stirtoni [SEC=PERSONAL]

To: <>, <>
Subject: Dromornis stirtoni [SEC=PERSONAL]
From: <>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:01:02 +1100

Hi All,

Ian and I have been chatting about the Dromornis stirtoni skull (the giant Miocene bird skull) pictured on the invite to the fossil talk (Listening to what fossils tell us: challenging traditional approaches to conservation. Mike Archer) sent around by Tony Lawson.

I have attached this morning’s reply to Ian as it may be of interest to others on the chat line. As I mentioned in an earlier email to Ian, I have no real knowledge of Miocene fossils so I had to seek out most of the information attached below.

Cheers Dan

Ps Thanks Tony for alerting us to this talk

Hi Ian

Sorry, ran out of time to reply yesterday. I called Jared Archibald (the fossil preparator and taxidermist at the NT Museum) to chat to him about what their pervious NT Museum palaeontologists had thought about Dromornis stirtoni (DS). Jared has spent as much time as anyone digging out these fossils and chatting to the Palaeos about them. There is currently no palaeontologist at the NT Museum but I know they are hoping to get funds together to employ someone in the near future. Fingers crossed they can, as the Alcoota and Bullocky Creek digs they manage are important Miocene fossil sites.

Apparently their group still consider DS to be foremost a herbivore but would not be able to exclude some scavenging. Jared was saying they would dig out a hundred if not thousands of Dromornis spp. bone fragments (largely leg bones) for every fossil crocodile, thylacine, or goanna bone they found. So their abundance is not typical of that of a large predator and almost certainly too high also for a primary large scavenger. But not to say it would never have scavenged.

The other points he reinforced were the lack of raptorial hook, the toe bones being most similar to Emu/Ostrich toes (so not adapted for ripping, tearing, or slicing) and the lack of claws on the wing. Apparently the rear of the skull is extremely similar to that of a Magpie Goose, not that this in itself would mean anything about the DS diet but does reinforce the close relationship to Anseriformes.

The argument for a carnivorous habit obviously stems from the large bill. Apparently Stephen Wroe has done much of the research on this and concluded that the large head and neck muscles associated with such a large bill would be adapted for meat eating. He concludes the large bill and muscles would represent a gross case of ‘over-design’ in nature - to purely crack the largest or hardest nuts. Nature rarely allows for over-design.

Wroe, S. (1999). The bird from hell? Nature Australia, 26: 58-64

Wroe, S. (1998). Bills, bones and bias: did Thunder Birds eat meat? Riversleigh Notes, 40: 2-4.

From a quick read of the first article listed above, Stephen Wroe’s arguments for ‘over design’ of the bill for plant or nut eating seem pretty sound to me. But I would want to know a bit more about the palaeoecology/environment of the region during the Miocene. Again not something I am at all well read on. In particular, I would want to know what the abundant plant types were. I am sure this is pretty well known or has been worked out for the north Australian latitude in the Miocene. If there was something similar to an oversized reed (say a bamboo with nutritious inner pulp) that could possibly explain the large bill and bill design then I don’t see why DS might not have used its large bill in a manner similar to a Purple Swamphen. It certainly reminds me of an oversized Purple Swamphen bill and they are very well adapted for carefully stripping away reeds and other aquatic plants and roots to the nutritious parts. But equally they wouldn’t pass up a tasty young bird, small mammal or frog either!

The book supporting the herbivore hypothesis is called ‘The Magnificent Mihirungs’. I think by Peter Murray and Pat Vickers-Rich - both palaeontologists. Peter Murray did much of the NT Museum work on the Dromornis spp. and Bullockensis sp. (?spelling) and I think Pat Vickers-Rich originally described DS. But don’t quote me on that.

So not sure which side I find more convincing, but it seems like it is still divides opinion. Possibly, DS was a bit opportunistic and fed on both plants/nuts and meat.

Cheers Dan

Dr Daniel Mantle

Timescales Project

Geoscience Australia