canberrabirds

Boobooks & Lyrebirds

To: "'John Layton'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Boobooks & Lyrebirds
From: "Stephen Mugford" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:30:18 +1100

John

I’m not sure about boobooks, but nocturnal birds sometimes do do stuff in the day.

Mid last year I saw (N American) nighthawks chasing an insect hatch over a river in SW Wyoming in the middle of a very bright summer morning. Confused the hell out of me for a while ... but once it dawned what they were I checked the field guide and sure enough it said “sometimes seen in the day hawking for insects....” etc.

So, maybe s/he was just out late (or early).

Stephen

Dr Stephen Mugford

Managing Director

QQSR

Box 12,

Gungahlin, ACT 2912

Ph:       +61 2 6242 1008   [02 6242 1008]