canberrabirds

three days in Deua: Lyrebird, Welcome Swallow, Spotted Quail-thrush and

To: COG list <>
Subject: three days in Deua: Lyrebird, Welcome Swallow, Spotted Quail-thrush and Common Starling behaviour.
From: con <>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:49:47 +1100
Had a few good days in the COG Area of Interest within Deua National Park where we camped in Berland Campground. Surveyed 7 grid cells. Some of these were repeats of April 2007 and it was great to see the migrants in full swing this time around.

Best birds were: Pilotbird, Wonga Pigeon, Satin Flycathcher, Rufous Fantail and Olive Whistler. The singing of the Lyrebirds was a treat. The single Painted Button-quail was 200 metres to the south of the COG area of interest. chiz. Breeding: Eastern Yellow Robin (dy) and (ny), Satin Flycatcher (on), Red Wattlebird (on) and (dy), Pied Currawong (ny), Welcome Swallow (on) Striated Thornbill (dy) Eastern Spinebill (dy) Scarlet Robin (on) Magpie (dy) and Brown Thornbill (dy). Two of the Rufous Fantails were defending a territory but we could find no sign of a nest.

From our tent we heard: Owlet Nightjar, Boobook, Tawny Frogmouth and Powerful Owl. We think that the farm dog we heard was a farm dog and not a Barking Owl.

The Welcome Swallows are practically engaged in colony nesting behaviour in the Big Hole - we saw several examples of birds (on).

We got quite close to a pair of Lyrebirds. Finally, the female flushed emitting a loud shriek-type noise. Almost immediately afterwards, the male rushed out, emitted a shriek-type noise and it then ran up the hill, away from us, repeated the shriek-type noise and fanning his tail everytime he did so.

We came across a pair of Spotted Quail-thrush. They were behaving as if we were very close to their young or to their nest. They did not disappear rapidly in the distance but stayed within three or four metres of us. The female executed three stagey 'flushes' landing a metre or so further each time. There was a lot of high-pitched but quite low decibel calling between the male and the female. We did a quick search but no luck on the breeding record side. We did get beautiful close-up views of both birds.

We noticed quite a few weekenders in the area which were closed and were amused to see that the letterbox of one of these was being occupied by a Common Starling.

There were plenty of goannas including one so large that it gave 'fight or flee' some serious consideration. To our relief it chose 'flee', albeit grudgingly. There were many Swamp and Red-necked Wallabies, several echidnas and a humungous group of down-hill crashing quadrupeds - (deer, pigs, goasts?) . Quite near the camp we saw in our torchlight what was very probably a Yellow-bellied Glider.

It was good to see that the farming country was still green with good stands of grass. More sobering, the African Broom tragedy that will overwhelm the Shoalhaven Valley is well-advanced on where it was a few years ago.

Con