canberrabirds

progress of RSBs and PSHs

To: <>
Subject: progress of RSBs and PSHs
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:54:05 +1100

Firstly thank you all for telling me about the cooing of a bronzewing pigeon.

At Kelly’s swamp this morning, the Royal spoonbill pair at the back of the tree were busy nest building.

The pair at the front mated at 6-13 am, but did little else.  I guess it makes sense to mate first and then build the nest because it would take some days from fertilisation until a fully formed egg would be ready to lay.

On 7th November last year one pair mated at 6-25 am and then straight away got on with nest building.

At Bittern Hide, there were two adult purple swamphens, each feeding two chicks.  I don’t know whether they were a single family unit sharing the chores, or the remnants of two families after the foxes had taken their fill.  These very young chicks were being left to wander around alone quite a bit.  Guess the number may soon be reduced.  Perhaps someone could tell me how old this chick would  be.

Margaret Leggoe

Database version: 6.13700