canberrabirds

Familiar call, wrong time of day + Button-quail sp. near Duffy [SEC=PERS

To: <>, <>
Subject: Familiar call, wrong time of day + Button-quail sp. near Duffy [SEC=PERSONAL]
From: <>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:41:13 +1100

Hey Margaret,

It is not unknown for Tawny Frogmouths to call during the day but it is something I have only seen and heard on a couple of occasions. The other birds to consider may be Common Bronzewing or Painted Button-quail. Best to listen to their calls on a CD, it is a bit difficult to put the differences into words.

I did hear a Button-quail sp. calling from the long grassy paddocks beside the SW corner of Narrabundah Hill (Duffy) last Thursday evening (late dusk). Beth and I were away from Friday so in the rush I forgot to let Jack Holland or Tobias (the other local birders) know to go and have a look for it. I would be surprised if this bird was a Painted BQ – the habitat is certainly not typical. I realise Painted BQ are occasionally recorded from paddocks but I think it would be unusual for them to be calling in such an environment. Although I know Tobias and others have seen Painted BQ in an area of reveg only a km or two to the south. I think the obvious candidate would be a Little Button-quail.

The field the bird was calling from is probably still part of the horse paddocks and is the very last field on your left as you head to the SW corner of Narrabundah Hill. The grasses are thick and knee high with no trees or shrubs (other than along the margins of the field). Other birds in the area include Southern Whiteface, Diamond Firetail, Brown Falcon, Dusky Woodswallow, and loads of Rufous Songlark. I thought I was doing well counting 9 on the full walk around the hill but Jack H has recorded 8 in this area alone.

Cheers Dan

Dr Daniel Mantle

Timescales Project

Geoscience Australia