canberrabirds

WA trip

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: WA trip
From: Nick Payne <>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 16:55:58 +0800
We're getting to the end of a three week trip to WA. The main purpose of the holiday was cycling, but we saw a fair number of birds from the seat of a bicycle. Highlights were:

(In Perth)
A couple of Ospreys successfully fishing off the Como foreshore
A flock of about a dozen Carnaby's Black CockatoosSouth Perth feeding in a calistemon on the median strip of Thomas St, which is the main road that forms the Western boundary of Kings Park.

I also noticed that the Twenty-Eight Parrots that I remembered from when I was living in Perth in the 1960s and 1970s had been almost completely displaced by the introduced Rainbow Lorrikeets. It wasn't until we went South towards Margaret River that we started to see Twenty-Eights in any number.

(Yallingup\Margaret River area)
Splendid Blue Wrens
Red-capped Parrots with DY
Western Rosellas with young
A large flock of Varied Sittellas absolutely ripping into a large Blackbutt tree
Numerous Red-tailed Black Cockatoos
Baudin's Black Cockatoos
Elegant Parrots
A pair of Rainbow Bee-eaters near Cowaramup (unusual to find them that far South, we were told)

We also saw several dozen Humpback whales heading South past Cape Naturaliste.

(at Rottnest)
Common Pheasant
Hundreds of Black-winged Stilts
Red-capped Robins
Freckled Ducks
Sacred Kingfinshers
Pied Oystercatchers
White-fronted Chats
Red-capped Plovers
Banded Lapwings
Caspian Terns

We also flushed a couple of quail which we guessed at being Stubble Quail, and my sister flushed what she thought was a Rock Parrot. Interestingly, there don't appear to be any Thornbills on the island at all. The 15km that separates Rottnest from the mainland must be too much for them. We also had good views of more Humpback Whales from the Northern side of the island, including several that were breaching and fin slapping.

Nick Payne