canberrabirds

Spotted Pardalote

To: <>
Subject: Spotted Pardalote
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:45:23 +1100

Yes  -  several observers have commented.  The scene from a few weeks ago and a good opportunity to compare the industrious M&F close at hand, on your way to what used to be a nice birdy panorama but is now a hotch-potch of view-obstructing veg recalling the kind of landscape that must have greeted Colonel Fawcett.  There is, I think, a life-cycle in public-view wetlands.  In their mature stages they are totally encased in opaque growth through which narrow slivers of view are available from ‘viewing points’ from which the chance of seeing anything noteworthy is at long odds.  This, I suppose, is the price of having an urban wetland where the more interesting species can have some respite from the whizzing bikes and picnicking family groups.  As with many other things, I think we have had the best of it.

sp_5140.jpg