canberrabirds

Native bird populations declining rapidly

To: <>
Subject: Native bird populations declining rapidly
From: "Tony Lawson" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:50:37 +1100

ABC - Broadcast: 21/10/2009

Reporter: Lisa Whitehead

It is well documented bird populations are in serious decline across the country but a new Victorian study has set alarm bells ringing. The scientific team claims two thirds of bird species studied, including common birds like lorikeets thornbills and honeyeaters have declined dramatically in the past five years, and they're warning a wave of extinctions could follow.

Transcript

KERRY O?BRIEN, PRESENTER: It's well documented that bird populations are in serious decline across the country, but a new Victorian study has set alarm bells ringing.

The scientific team claims two thirds of bird species studied - including common birds like lorikeets, thornbills and honeyeaters - have declined dramatically in the past five few years.

And they're warning that a wave of extinctions could follow.

Lisa Whitehead reports.

DR JIM RADFORD, DEAKIN UNIVERSITY: The population numbers are gradually going down. So we see some species just disappearing.

PROF. ANDREW BENNETT, DEAKIN UNVERSITY: We are in the middle of a mass extinction crisis.

PAUL SINCLAIR, AUST. CONSERVATION FOUNDATION: How could you imagine a bush without a kookaburra?

LISA WHITEHEAD, REPORTER: The Australian bush without the call of the kookaburra, without honeyeaters or lorikeets, or the distinctive song of the rufous whistler.

It is hard to imagine, but the latest research shows populations of these native woodland birds are crashing. And ecologists say without urgent action a wave of extinctions is on the horizon.

We will lose our natural heritage. We will come out to these forests and they will be silent.

LISA WHITEHEAD: Professor Andrew Bennett and Dr Jim Radford, along with a team from Melbourne's Monash University independently tracked bird numbers in central and northern Victoria over a 15-year period.

When they cross-matched results they were stunned.

DR JIM RADFORD: We double checked and tripped checked. We made sure that these numbers were right. We were very alarmed.

LISA WHITEHEAD: For 12 years Professor Andrew Bennett has been monitoring woodland bird numbers in this protected box ironbark forest.

PROF. ANDREW BENNETT: Comparing that first two years and the last two years, when I calculate out that over 40 per cent decline in this forest alone, it amounts to more than 150,000 birds less.

LISA WHITEHEAD: What surprised the scientific team most was that the problem wasn't confined to rare or endangered birds.

PROF. ANDREW BENNETT: t was some of the more common species like kookaburras to have some of these common birds declining and disappearing, dropping out of landscapes here, dropping out of landscapes there. That's what's alarming.

LISA WHITEHEAD: But the danger signs aren't just being seen in inland Victoria. Bird populations are on a downward path across the country.

PROF. HUGH POSSINGHAM, ECOLOGY CENTRE, UQ: We have just published some work from around Brisbane which shows 20 or 30 species in serious decline and whether you're a bush bird, like this study is talking about, or whether you're in fresh water systems or in marine systems, they're all in decline.

LISA WHITEHEAD: So why are our native bird populations plummeting?

PROF. ANDREW BENNETT: The primary driver is the change in the weather patterns we've had, this change in climate over the last 10 years. We've had more than 10 years of below average rainfall now. In 2002, it was well below average.

It affects the food supplies. That feeds through to the population cycles.

LISA WHITEHEAD: Traditionally, these red ironbark trees flower each winter. And nectar-feeding birds rely on them as a food source. But this winter they didn't flower at all, and there's only been two heavy-flowering events in the last eight years.

DR JIM RADFORD: These birds will move out of this area entirely. When they return I suspect their breeding success and their breeding attempts is compromised.

LISA WHITEHEAD: Less rainfall and higher temperatures are accelerating the damage already done by decades of land degradation.

PROF. HUGH POSSINGHAM: If you knock off 70 to 90 per cent of all the native vegetation, introduce a whole heap of feral predators and weeds then you can't expect to get away with that without some sort of disaster.

LISA WHITEHEAD: Experts say Australia faces losing a bird species every 10 years, unless extra funds are found to fund threatened bird projects.

PROF. HUGH POSSINGHAM: We could half that rate if we doubled the investment. We could half it again if we added another $3 million. So if we spent say, $15 million a year, instead of $3 million, we would virtually stop bird extinctions in Australia.

PETER GARRETT, FED. ENVIRONMENT MINISTER: I recognise that this is a very serious issue particularly for the State of Victoria and that wheat belt and sheep belt area. But we have significant pressures on our native plant and animal species right around the country.

LISA WHITEHEAD: In an effort to protect native plants and animals, the Rudd Government has quadrupled investment in the country's national parks and reserves. But the Victorian study showed bird numbers are declining in protected areas as well as in heavily-cleared land, challenging the notion that the existing reserve system will preserve biodiversity.

PAUL SINCLAIR: Most of the reserve systems, you know, the national parks, protected areas, were built on pretty crappy land. That's the land that we couldn't dig up or chop down. What we really need to see is a rapid expansion of our protected areas into fertile areas of Australia, particularly along the river frontages and flood plains.

If we don't, we will lose iconic species like kookaburras.

LISA WHITEHEAD: Governments agree a new approach is needed to halt the decline. But scientist and conservationists argue a huge injection of funds into biodiversity infrastructure must come with it.

PROF. HUGH POSSINGHAM: With our current investment in the environment, we are going to lose many, many species, many species that people treasure and get enjoyment out of and which underpins our tourism industry.

LISA WHITEHEAD: The Federal Government's main initiative to combat biodiversity loss is its caring for country program to which its allocated $2.4 billion over five years.

PETER GARRETT: We had applications which far exceeded the amount of resources under caring for our country which is a substantial commitment already. That says two things: firstly, that the need is great in every state and secondly that we will have to be particularly targeted and try and get the best out of the resources we have.

LISA WHITEHEAD: But a recent draft of the Federal Government's action plan, its national biodiversity strategy, sparked a letter of protest from 90 members of Australia's scientific community. They claimed it critical failings.

PROF. HUGH POSSINGHAM: The new biodiversity strategy really sets no timelines and it doesn't set any goals, and it doesn't say what it's going to cost. So it's a strategy that doesn't seem to really say you're going to do anything by any time.

PETER GARRETT: Look, I welcome the fact that the scientific community are expressing a strong view point about this. As I've said before, I think they got it wrong in part. I don't think they looked close closely at what the Commonwealth Government's been doing. But I recognise that there were some issues that they raised that were legitimate. That is the whole point of a draft policy, is that you take feedback from stakeholders, you listen carefully. If you think there's merit in the views that they're putting, you take it on board and you improve the document. And that's what we're going to do.

LISA WHITEHEAD: The stakes are high. Getting it wrong could irrevocably change the face of the Australian landscape.