canberrabirds

A few comments on Frogmouths

To: COG List <>
Subject: A few comments on Frogmouths
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:17:55 +1100
Since we have arrived back from overseas I have been able to confirm that the Carwoola Frogmouths have at least 2 chicks.  It seems likely that the pairs in Flynn, Ainslie and 1 of those on the Pinnacle have at least 1 chick.  All very satisfactory.

I have been intrigued that I have not been able to find the female Carwoola frogmouth since returning, despitse a reasonably determined search.  However this morning I caught sight of her "out of the corner of my eye" as I was looking at a Buff-rumped thonbill.  Exactly as recommended by Stuart Rae!  Also conforming to Stuart's comments, she has moved to the tree nearest  the nest tree (rather than a similar tree about 20m further away.  I have no idea whether this is related to the hatching of the chicks.

Martin