canberrabirds

Re: New and inexperienced birdwatchers

Subject: Re: New and inexperienced birdwatchers
From: Rob Geraghty <>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 02:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
I should point out that I am not yet a member of COG, but I have found this
list really helpful in terms of finding some places to discover new species
around the ACT, and to confirm sightings.  I also have to say that a couple of
but I took a "live and let live" attitude and stayed on to leverage the
knowledge of locals.

Con (I believe) wrote:
> Like Mark I would encourage new starters to use the
> chatline to help learn about birds but also to
> contribute - I am often surprised at what newcomers
> will spot with fresh eyes that old hands might be
> missing because of habituation.

I agree, especially if people acknowledge the contribution and consider it with
an open mind.  There's a huge range of experience amongst list members - from
academics to complete beginners.

> Some of the postings on this chatline indicate to me that
> 'rudeness perps' are likely to be entirely un-self-aware.
> They simply do not understand the emotional impact that
> they might be having.
> In terms of 'facts' they might be 'right'. But in terms
> of impact they are 'wrong'. Because the communications are
> digital, they are not getting visual cues that might let
> them know that they are causing hurt.

This was a point I wanted to raise.  I've been using text based bulletin
boards, newsgroups and email lists since the mid 80's, and a LOT is lost when
something is typed. Not just a person's posture, facial expression, but their
tone of voice and so on.  We lose a lot when we are reduced to mere words, and
few people are brilliant at writing.  So - we need to be a little more
forgiving on an email list.  Someone might not be as annoyed or abrupt as they
seem - maybe it's how they write.  It works both ways; long time list users can
encourage newbies by treating them gently.  Most people find it challenging to
post on a list - the majority of list users lurk in the background and are
never heard. So when they do, it helps to encourage their input.

> It seems to me that these folk need verbal feedback. This
> should be done through the chat line co-ordinator. Most
> blogs have rules, as does ours. Most of them have provision
> for repeat offenders to be excluded from making a posting,
> generally after several warnings.

I agree that where possible, talking to someone might work better than sending
them an email.  What I'd hate to see would be long time members getting into a
turf war, because it will discourage new members, and any organisation that
doesn't encourage new membership is eventually doomed.  Hopefully nobody is so
irredeemable that they have to be banned.

As something of a newbie to both Canberra and COG, can I take this opportunity
to mention that I find the use of acronyms confusing or at worst a way of
excluding people who are unfamiliar with them?  For example, long term Canberra
residents may not have to think twice when they see ANBG, but I found it
confusing until someone explained that it was the Botanic gardens at Black
Mountain.  Similarly calling something a BTNH without ever mentioning "Black
Tailed Native Hen" in the email may be straightforward for an experienced
birder, but less experienced folks may be completely lost and missing out on
good information.  Even birding specific terms can be confusing without
explanation - for example I think the "platelets" mentioned in connection with
Quail are the circular scratchings from when they feed, but I'm still not sure.

Language can be a way of bringing people together, but it can also be a way of
separating them.  Birding is a fun thing to do, and like most hobbies, it's
more fun when shared.  So please, have some patience with beginners and try to
encourage them rather than only talking to those "in the know". :)

Rob

PS I have had an interest in bird watching for about 29 years, but I don't
regard myself as an expert or even a "keen birder".  I simply have a keen
interest in the world around me, and birds are one aspect of that.