canberrabirds

cuckoo, yes?

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: cuckoo, yes?
From: Dimitris Bertzeletos <>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 07:04:19 +0300
Hello Margaret;

This is a nice photo of a Fan-tailed Cuckoo. The yellow eye-ring and rufous throats separates this species from the similar Brush-cuckoo, which has a grey throat, lacks the eye-ring and is smaller. Call can also be used to distinguish the two. Fan-tailed calls are soft, slightly downsulred, purring whistles while Brush Cuckoos have a double whistle. Check your field guides on better call descriptions.

Hope this helps.

Dimitris

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:47:08 +1100
Subject: [canberrabirds] cuckoo, yes?

This bird is a first for me, I think it is a fantailed cuckoo, but would like confirmation.   There were so many twigs in front of it I had to rely on manual focus, a bit risky in my hands.

Margaret Leggoe

Callum Brae

Today

Database version: 6.13500