canberrabirds

A little trip (3): standoff at Bowra

To: <>
Subject: A little trip (3): standoff at Bowra
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:01:26 +1100

Now, a bird anecdote from Bowra.  Around the open camping space were families of Chestnut-crowned Babblers, one of which contained 3 dependant juveniles, easily identified by their short tails and short bills.  Here is an example of one of them:

dy bab_1801.JPG

Midday one day I was at my camp table, listening to the Country Hour and quietly unwrapping my pre-packed gourmet corned beef sandwiches and getting out a jar of pickled onions, when ,skitter-skitter, one of these juvs ran across my feet and hopped up on one of the table struts, peering out from under.  After a few seconds it made a dash for a smallish Wilga tree, about 15m away.  Tree:

a willga_2555.JPG

  As it happened, inside this unusually noisy tree were about a dozen other agitated CCBs, plus one hawk (male goshawk, I think).  This created an interesting standoff.  None of the babblers was willing to leave the tree, because this would lose them its shelter, and presumably allow the hawk to pick off a juv.  The hawk for its part was unable to move effectively in the dense tree, and  was just waiting (or, as the media likes to say these days instead of ‘waiting’:  ‘PLAYING A WAITING GAME’).  The below hawk snap was taken from about 6m.  The impasse was broken when I advanced to 3m, and the  hawk took off.  After that the babbler party streamed from the  tree, and away, and resumed its business.

pair 2.jpg