canberrabirds

COG's bird blitz

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: COG's bird blitz
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:15:36 +1000

COG’s bird blitz is on again, on 24-25 October. We aim to cover as much of the ACT as possible, recording bird abundance and breeding activity. Individuals or groups are invited to select a site and to do any one of the standard Birds Australia surveys there (for example, 20-minutes over 2 hectares; or a minimum of 20 mins over a circle with a radius of 500 metres from a central spot). More information can be found on the COG website, www.canberrabirds.org.au.

We are still looking for 4WDs to ply the behind-locked-gates trails in Namadgi NP: possibly for the Naas Valley; and one for Smokers Trail. Please contact the organizer if you can help out. Don’t worry if you’re not a top-notch birder – we’ll find someone who is, to accompany you. There will be some assistance this year with fuel expenses for birding behind the locked gates.

Many of the best nature reserves have still not been “adopted” for the blitz. How about spending an hour or two (or more) on 24 or 25 October, counting birds in one of the following spots:

  • Tidbinbilla NR
  • Stromlo Forest Park
  • Mt Mugga Mugga NR
  • Castle Hill
  • Tuggeranong Hill NR
  • Rob Roy NR
  • Newline Quarry
  • Mt Ainslie NR
  • Mt Pleasant NR
  • Isaacs Ridge
  • Wanniassa Hills

Or if you prefer to venture further afield, several of the good walks in Namadgi NP are still up for grabs:

  • Nursery Swamp
  • Hospital Hut
  • Yankee Hat
  • Yerrabi Track
  • Square Rock
  • Smokers Trail.

Contact Barbara Allan (6254 6520 or via email) if you would like to select one of these spots to do your blitz surveying.