canberrabirds

Black-tailed Native Hen Norwood Park still at Norgrove, 7.30am [SEC=UNCL

To: <>, <>
Subject: Black-tailed Native Hen Norwood Park still at Norgrove, 7.30am [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: <>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 09:47:50 +1000

The Black-tailed Native Hen was still around from 7-7.30am this morning. It actually took me about an hour to find and when I first saw it, it was feeding on the grass only a yard from the concrete path opposite the building covered in scaffolding (southern edge of Norgrove Park, along Dawes Street). It spent most of the next 30mintues along the grass/shrub border from here down to the e-w bridge (20yards down the slope from the pathways along Dawes Street).

The first hour I spent looking for the Native-hen was pretty successful though as I saw a minimum of 5-7 Baillons Crakes (incl. 2 pairs and about 8 sightings of individuals birds). I was lucky enough to see one pair briefly copulating and others aggressively chasing other crakes from their patch. Very early on I also had excellent views of s Spotless Crake feeding on worms right out in the open on a grassy area immediately to your left as you cross the first bridge (from the SE corner).

It is certainly a very active little spot at the moment with Reed Warblers singing loudly from all spots, several Little Grassbirds, 6-7 Greenfinch constantly ‘wheezing’ away, and tons of Goldfinch. Other nice birds were one male White-winged Triller and a Rufous Songlark that Alastair Smith spotted shortly after he arrived.

I then headed out to Newline which was equally alive with bird calls but nothing too special. The usual Brown Treecreepers, quite a few Olive-backed Oriole and Noisy Friarbirds, one Pallid Cuckoo, one Horsfield’s Bronze-cuckoo, and another two Rufous Songlark. I got the most fun from watching a pair of Willie Wagtails bombarding a Pied Currawong for five minutes whilst it tried to snap them out of the air. They finally managed to move it away from their territory (I couldn’t see a nest).

Cheers Dan

Dr Daniel Mantle

Timescales Project

Petroleum Prospectivity & Promotion